In these very challenging times, it is more important than ever to speak up to your line manager or others about any worries or concerns you might have. At the moment you may feel that you can only raise concerns about Covid-19 and that other concerns should be held back. However, in terms of your health and wellbeing and our ability to understand and learn from your experiences at work, we would like to remind you that we are here to listen to any concerns you may have. Your experience may also be shared by others so, by speaking up, you will be helping us improve and learn for the benefit of our colleagues and patients.
Who is the support for?
Support from the raising concerns/speaking up service is for all workers: staff holding a contract of employment, bank and agency workers, students, honorary contract holders, external contractor staff, volunteers and governors.
What sort of support is available?
A confidential telephone or video call is offered to listen to the concerns you have and to help you find a way forward; in some cases a Covid secure face to face meeting will be arranged. The support might include signposting you to another source of support. We stay in touch with you to ensure that you find the best outcome possible. Users of the service have given feedback that having a listening ear from a neutral person is invaluable and has helped clarify their options and what actions they will consider.
Why should this support be the right one for me?
• You may be unsure about where to go for support
• You may feel unable to raise your concerns within your team/with your line manager
• You may have already raised concerns and nothing has happened
• You may be worried about the repercussions of speaking up
If any of the above apply to you, the speaking up service (guardians or local listeners) will listen and help you decide on the next course of action. This may include interventions from others, with your agreement.
How can I access the support?
• Denise Hollinger, freedom to speak up guardian, ext 349088 or email@example.com
• Speaking up listeners across the Trust: http://connect2/article/5764/Speak-up-listeners-
• Raising concerns email: firstname.lastname@example.org
• Dedicated reporting line: Ian Walker, director of corporate affairs and the executive lead for raising concerns and whistleblowing, ext 586535